Photobucket

About Me

My photo
The Shaffers were established in 2005. Our members include supportive husband, Anthony Dean, commonly known as Tony; and loving wife Brandi Michelle. Adorable daughter Addison Rienn added in 06, and precious little Kaden Mikal joined the clan in March 09. We just moved to Washington, but we will always be Idahoans. We love lifes simple pleasures such as watching our daughter play, seeing our son smile, the great outdoors, good food, the company of family and friends, and football of course!

Monday, November 7, 2011

~Highlights of the week~

The Lakers got together for some pizza and to celebrate a great season of soccer! I had a ball watching Addi socialize with her peers. We discovered that the little pizza place that we always have deliver is actually the cool local hangout, complete with arcade. Addi ran into her neighbor friends and also friends from school. A family walked in, and the little boy started tugging on his Mom's shirt. "Mom! Look, there's Addi, the prettiest girl in my class!" the Mom replied, "So go talk to her!" and the little boy walked over and tapped her on her shoulder. She seemed happy to see him, and next thing I know she is meeting his whole family. I just sat back giggling and wishing there was some way to keep her little forever.

That night Addi received her very first trophy, and it was the cutest thing I have ever seen. She was so proud of herself! She has requested that Daddy make her a trophy shelf, so we are happy she plans to earn more! 

Cheer is always Addi's favorite time of the week! 

Daddy got the kids a new game they can play together. It is a Sesame Street game that uses the Kinect, a little camera on top of the TV. That way there are no controllers or buttons to push, it sees their movement. This is the first game to catch Kaden's attention. It is hilarious watching them jump and move around, giggling all the while playing this game together. Good job Tony! 

Kaden is obsessed with books, wanting a book first thing in the morning, and we have to pry the books out of his hands at bedtime. He says new things everyday and is always making me laugh. He LOVES making sounds, especially animal sounds as he reads along. Well, as we read along in this Clifford alphabet book, Kaden said his first bad word.
He was acting out the various V objects, and making sounds for them. Smelling the flowers in the vase, playing music on his fake violin. Then he gets to the volcano. He yells, "Oh SHIT!" covers his head, and drops to his belly before making a loud explosion sound, then grins up at his mother, who is at first in shock, and then doing her best to hold back the laughter. Addi runs to the rescue. "Kaden! We do NOT say that word! We say, "Oh SNAP!" when something horrible happens, ok?" Needless to say, now I have two kids saying "Oh SNAP!". Oh well, I guess it's better than the alternative! :o) 

The highlight of the week for me was finishing this quilt. I made this quilt for my newest nephew, Kash. I have been wanting to start a quilt for Kash for several weeks now, but didn't feel like I had the perfect fabric. I bought fabric for two other ideas, and just never got excited about the quilt, and never wanted to start. Then it dawned on me, I had the perfect fabric sitting here all along! Fabric for a blanket I would be proud to give him. After all, I met his mother while we were both attending The University of Idaho. Kash's Dad, Tony's brother Shane, loved to visit us while I was in school. In fact, Kash's parents met for the first time during one of those visits. So yeah, I'd say this is the perfect blanket for our little nephew. Or should I say Little Legacy.... :o) Go Vandals! 
It should be noted that the Vandals won their football game at the same time I was sewing the quilt top, so I am pretty sure this is now a lucky blanket!

The back, football print.

There are so many steps that go into making a quilt. From picking the fabric, to the design, all the cutting, sewing, pinning, basting, quilting, and binding. All the while you are thinking about the person you are making the quilt for. That is what makes them so special. I have 2 nieces, and 3 nephews. I look forward to making a quilt for each one of them. Just as soon as I find the PERFECT fabric! :o) 

2 comments:

Will and Mandi said...

Don't forget about Liam, he is an honorary nephew! We want a Vandal quilt just like that one!

Shaffers said...

I think that is necessary as well! And your Mom spilled the beans on FB, looks like I'm getting another nephew in the near future! I guess the girl I was hoping for will have to be your third child! :o)