Photobucket

About Me

My photo
The Shaffers were established in 2005. Our members include supportive husband, Anthony Dean, commonly known as Tony; and loving wife Brandi Michelle. Adorable daughter Addison Rienn added in 06, and precious little Kaden Mikal joined the clan in March 09. We just moved to Washington, but we will always be Idahoans. We love lifes simple pleasures such as watching our daughter play, seeing our son smile, the great outdoors, good food, the company of family and friends, and football of course!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

My Americana :o)


Yesterday was the perfect American day. Our day began with a trip to Daddy's store, and then a quick trip to the mall before heading out to Genessee Idaho for "Genesee Days". The kids loved the parade, and they literally scored about ten pounds of candy! Addison enjoyed singing the IDAHO fight song, and living around here it is actually acceptable to do so at any moment! She told me, "I am a beautiful Idaho girl, and someday Momma, you can be too!!!"

Kaden was in heaven looking at all the cool trucks and old cars.

Addison and her friend Jr.


Say Cheese!!!

One more time!!

My little tough guy!


After the parade they had your typical small town USA celebration in the park. Complete with a bouncing castle, climbing wall, live music, and homecooked goodness like pulled pork sandwiches, mac salad and strawberry shortcake.

The kids had a few meltdowns from all the excitement and heat, and it was time to head back to Moscow. We had a birthday party to attend at East City Park. Addi and Kadens buddy Julian turned 3, and they were very excited to help him celebrate in style!

Pretty in Purple!

Addi and Jude Bug :o)

Kaden and Julian are fighting over this balloon, even though there are about a dozen more to play with! Typical :o)

Time to open presents!!!

But THEN the SPRINKLERS came on! Everything got wet, and as the adults scampered to move everything to a safe place, the kids enjoyed the refreshing all American activity of running through the spriklers!






Taking cover in the trees :o)


Kaden was VERY impressed with Julian's new Toy Story presents. I suppose I need to get him his own Buzz and Woody!


I brought buckets so the kids could play in the sand. Julian found a pet worm living in the sand box and he loved the thing to death :o)



Addi's Castle! And a pretty good view of the burn on her chin. I made cookies and told Addi she couldn't eat any until they cooled down. I told her to leave the kitchen and I would let her know when they were ready to eat. She snuck back in the kitchen and was trying to blow on the cookies to cool them down, and burned her chin on the cookie sheet. Poor girl, I hope it doesn't leave a permenant scar on her pretty little face!!


When we got home the kids PASSED OUT!!! I wanted to do the same, but it was ladies night! My night to go have some fun with my friend Renner. I made my family mac and cheese with hotdogs(and yes I did feel slightly guilty about that!) and Renner and I headed back to Genesee for the night time celebration that included live music and a grand firework show for such a small town. Small town bars are the best!! While I was enjoying a cold one with some locals, we became aware that someone amongst us was a BSU fan and alumni. Ohhhhhh noooooooooo ;o) Renner lead the chant, "Who do we hate? Boise State!!" we all started getting riled up, and then the other famous chant started, "F-U BSU!" At which point I became concerned that the management might not appreciate such language or yelling. But I was pleasently surprised that the bartender and owner pulled out a big foam hand flipping the bird, and started chanting along!! It was great. Afterwards I sat at the bar and talked to this woman, whose husband was a U of I football coach the last time we went to the Humanitarian Bowl. He also played football for U of I, and then played professionally for the Raiders and the Baltimore Colts. We talked about our shared experiences of being a Vandal, and certain rights of passage like the Bovil Run, and Genessee Crab Feed. It is our common shared experiences of American popular culture, like small town parades, birthday parties and running through the spriklers, football rivalries, and home cooked food that make me thankful to be a Vandal,an Idahoan, and an American!

2 comments:

Will and Mandi said...

Wow! You really had a jam packed day! What did Tony think of Kaden's necklace?

Shaffers said...

Tony did make a comment about his attire, and I replied, "If you care so much, then you buy his clothes, get him dressed, and take him to a parade and when they give him a necklace then you tell him he can't wear it!" He didn't vocalize any further complaints! :o)