Photobucket

About Me

My photo
The Shaffers were established in 2005. Our members include supportive husband, Anthony Dean, commonly known as Tony; and loving wife Brandi Michelle. Adorable daughter Addison Rienn added in 06, and precious little Kaden Mikal joined the clan in March 09. We just moved to Washington, but we will always be Idahoans. We love lifes simple pleasures such as watching our daughter play, seeing our son smile, the great outdoors, good food, the company of family and friends, and football of course!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just call me Abuelita


Tamale making was a complete success! It is always a good feeling when you learn how to make one of your favorite foods that was previously hard to obtain at the certain level of quality you've come to expect. I didn't cut any corners, I made those suckers as authentic as it gets. I had no idea that it would take me DAYS to do it, but hey, I was happy with the end result and that's what counts. Day one included shopping for all my ingredients, slow cooking two pork roasts, making homemade red chili sauce, then shredding the pork and marinating in the chili sauce overnight. The next morning I soaked my corn husks and made my mesa mixture. Spent the afternoon rolling tamales and then later steaming them. I had so much left over ingredients that I had to make another batch the next day. But we had a nice tamale dinner and invited friends over, and sent some home with everyone, plus I have about three dozen in the freezer. And man are they delicious!!

1 comment:

Will and Mandi said...

Okay Betty, your making the rest of us look bad! You're amazing!