Photobucket

About Me

My photo
The Shaffers were established in 2005. Our members include supportive husband, Anthony Dean, commonly known as Tony; and loving wife Brandi Michelle. Adorable daughter Addison Rienn added in 06, and precious little Kaden Mikal joined the clan in March 09. We just moved to Washington, but we will always be Idahoans. We love lifes simple pleasures such as watching our daughter play, seeing our son smile, the great outdoors, good food, the company of family and friends, and football of course!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Today is Dr. Seuss's Birthday, and Addi's school is having a big celebration in honor of him. Of course we are celebrating at home too, with special treats, reading our favorite Seuss books and even watching Seuss movies. We love Dr. Seuss, but who doesn't? Addi asked, "Dr. Seuss is still alive, isn't he Mom?" and I had to reply, "No, sweetie. He past away the year your Uncle Bryce was born." She replied with a horrified, "WHAT IS GOING ON! All the great men are DYING! First Mr. King Jr., Dr. Seuss, and even the man on the back of the penny! This is SO HORRIBLE!"
She cracks me up!
"Kid, you'll move mountains
So... be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off to great places!
Today is YOUR day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So....Get on your way!"

Oh, The Places You'll Go! -Dr. Seuss


In other news, we have made TREMENDOUS progress on the potty training front. I was getting so frustrated, because I could sit in the bathroom with Kaden for an hour, and he would always hold it until we left the bathroom. I read an article where the woman suggested you place the potty in the middle of their favorite room, and let them run around without bottoms. When they need to go, they will do it on their own. It was a risky proposition, but I was at my wits end, so I gave it a try. The first day was long and stressful without much progress. I called Tony and asked him to pick up a toy for Kaden for incentive. I was thinking a Matchbox car. Tony showed up with a giant light saber and light up shield. Kaden's eyes lit up. Tony said, "This is a big boy sword! Only big boys that use the potty can play with this sword!" We left it in the box and put it where he could see it. The next morning he woke up and immediately sat on his potty and went pee. I was overjoyed! I hugged him and told him, "Kaden, you are SO AWESOME! I am so proud of you!" and he said, "Ah, thanks Mom!"
He got his sword and shield, and has been using the potty ever since! I even took him to town yesterday to shop, and no accidents! I really am so proud of that boy!

No comments: