Photobucket

About Me

My photo
The Shaffers were established in 2005. Our members include supportive husband, Anthony Dean, commonly known as Tony; and loving wife Brandi Michelle. Adorable daughter Addison Rienn added in 06, and precious little Kaden Mikal joined the clan in March 09. We just moved to Washington, but we will always be Idahoans. We love lifes simple pleasures such as watching our daughter play, seeing our son smile, the great outdoors, good food, the company of family and friends, and football of course!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sewing 101

I have wanted to learn how to sew for a couple years now, and never have gotten around to it. Yesterday I decided to change that. I was given this 1951 Singer sewing machine a few years back. It once belonged to a great uncle of Tony's who has passed. I know nothing about sewing, and I was nervous about learning on such an old machine. I found the original manual online, and read it cover to cover, then got started. For my first project I decided to make a rag quilt using Addi's old clothes, that way I didn't have to spend money on fabric. It took me a while to get the machine figured out, but once I started, I didn't want to stop! Sewing is so much fun! It took me a day and a half to make this blanket. I loved using Addi's old clothes because there are so many memories in each one of these squares. I think I will make Kaden one before the weekend is over! :o) 

Front

Back

The kids had fun playing Bistro while I worked away :o)

Once the blanket was finished we celebrated with lunch in the fresh air
followed by a pool party! (possibly the last one of the year!)




~Slash Dance~

No comments: